Trudeau Breaks Ethics Code

119 posts / 0 new
Last post
alan smithee alan smithee's picture
Trudeau Breaks Ethics Code

What an idiot. First he back pedals on cannabis,now he's been found guilty of breaking ethics code with a conflict of interest.

Who's going to cash in? Hint : It's not the NDP.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/pm-trudeau-broke-ethics-rules-watchdog-f...

Rob8305

Exactly, Allan.

 

Question for all posters:  Is this bigger than Fraser/Gomery since the sponsorship scandal never involved the sitting PM directly in criminal activity.  We now have the Prime Minister of Canada a criminal.  How can he survive?

voice of the damned

Rob8305 wrote:

Exactly, Allan.

 

Question for all posters:  Is this bigger than Fraser/Gomery since the sponsorship scandal never involved the sitting PM directly in criminal activity.  We now have the Prime Minister of Canada a criminal.  How can he survive?

Is he legally considered a criminal because of this? It seems to me I've heard other cases of politicians ruled in violation of ethics, and they weren't charged with anything.

pookie

voice of the damned wrote:

Rob8305 wrote:

Exactly, Allan.

 

Question for all posters:  Is this bigger than Fraser/Gomery since the sponsorship scandal never involved the sitting PM directly in criminal activity.  We now have the Prime Minister of Canada a criminal.  How can he survive?

Is he legally considered a criminal because of this? It seems to me I've heard other cases of politicians ruled in violation of ethics, and they weren't charged with anything.

No he is not.

This is certain to be an unpopular view here, but I sense that this will have very little, if any, impact.  IMO, JT caught a break having it come out 4 days before Xmas.  He's apologized and has promised to vet future holidays.  It's clear that a significant proportion of Cdns like him personally.  More generally, I think, the public are inclined to forgive when asked to.

Plus, I doubt most Cdns look at the Aga Khan as part of the "swamp".  

Unionist

In the sponsorship scandal, there were criminal charges laid - e.g. fraud, forgery, and laundering proceeds of crime - and upheld, against Jacques Corriveau.

Which article of the Criminal Code could be involved in the current situation?

EDITED: Sorry, I misstated the Corriveau charges originally.

Basement Dweller

Once Junior organizes his thoughts, maybe we'll get a clear, concise explanation.

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Quote:
Which article of the Criminal Code could be involved in the current situation?

We could make up a brand new one, and make it retroactive, if not for his damnable false majority!!  You win, this time, Mr. Trudeau!!!!!

WWWTT

Wow! Earlier today I saw the clip where he’s rambling on trying to make up a lame ass excuse making a bunch of slip ups. I actually had to watch it over several times because I couldn’t believe he was screwing up so badly!  Now I heard him use the excuse that this character whom invited him is a friend which I found real bizarre that he would try such a lame excuse. That’s almost like saying that if someone bribes you it’s ok because the person bribing you is a friend. The other thing I find super odd is that Justin feels real comfortable giving everyone the impression that he’s a wealthy privileged intitled person! And for some reason Canadians are good with that? But what do I know? According to some posters “the voters are always right” so somehow that’s supposed to mean I’m out of touch.

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Quote:
Now I heard him use the excuse that this character whom invited him is a friend which I found real bizarre that he would try such a lame excuse.

Exactly.  How could he have a friend?????

WWWTT

Mr Magoo you’re not even making sense now lol! Justin was implying that an immoral act similar to bribery was not immoral because the pair liked each other. But that’s ok Mr Magoo, I still like you brother, you’re just a little angry at me right now and want to rip my head off. 

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Quote:
Justin was implying that an immoral act similar to bribery was not immoral because the pair liked each other.

Tell us more about that bribery part.

WWWTT

This link from global news attacks the issue a little more head on. I’m disappointed the NDP failed on this one. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/3180076/why-justin-trudeaus-trip-to-the-aga-khans-island-matters/

Basement Dweller

So is Junior putting on an act with his verbal bumbling? He was a drama teacher.

lagatta4

I think this will blow over. No voters thought of Trudeau as a guy from an average working family, and the other parties have leaders who seem far from convincing. Scheer would do better in the Bible Belt (though some hardline evangelicals dislike Catholics) and Singh just hasn't made his mark yet - will he? My MP (boasting here) has the most incisive criticism, but Boulerice will never be chosen as NDP leader or PM.

SocialJustice101

WWWTT, according to the Conflict of Interest Act itself, "friends and relatives" are expempt from the act.  Without defining the term "friend", and thus the current issue.

Also, the Conflict of Interest Act is not a part of the Criminal Code.  So no, Trudeau has not commited a crime.

 

WWWTT

SocialJustice101 wrote:

WWWTT, according to the Conflict of Interest Act itself, "friends and relatives" are expempt from the act.  Without defining the term "friend", and thus the current issue.

Also, the Conflict of Interest Act is not a part of the Criminal Code.  So no, Trudeau has not commited a crime.

 

Yes good points, from within the context of our political system. However I'm a Maoist so I see things a little differently! It's also perfectly legal to give politicians money within the guidlines of the elections act! Does that mean it's morally sound to give politicians money? Really depends who you are,who writes the laws and who benefits the most from how the laws were written. I personally do not belittle the views/perspective of the common folk who do not know a billionaire whos interests received multi millions from the same government whom he allegedly gave gifts to the leader of that country.

Never said that Justin committed an act in contravention of the criminal code. However he did accept a helicoter flight that does not have the same "friend" exemtion claus. And then there's the fact that for some reason, everyone has accepted his lame excuse that this character is his friend. Now I believe he will get away with using the lame "friend" exuse because the word can be applied any way. Everyone's heard of the phrase "a friend is only a stranger you haven't met".

I still think he was caught flat footed here. I believe he should have aired on the side of caution, but his arogant right to self intitlement got in the way and he believes that he is more important and "worthy" than the common Canadian folk! Unlike lagatta4, I think that this issue is going to come back come election time!

Rev Pesky

From WWWTT:

he did accept a helicoter flight...I believe he should have aired on the side of caution...

This was just too good to pass by.

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Quote:
but his arogant right to self intitlement got in the way and he believes that he is more important and "worthy" than the common Canadian folk!

That's a lot of assumptions.

When my wealthy brother-in-law would invite myself and my wife to his cottage, I said yes, not because of:

a) arrogance

b) a perceived right to self entitlement

c) a belief that I'm more important than others

d) a belief that I'm more "worthy" than the common Canadian folk!

A little vacation is nice.  If Canada suddenly and inexplicably offers a huge infrastructure contract to the Aga Khan, let's talk then.

Meanwhile, I asked you about this "bribery" business in post #11.  Any thoughts?  What was Trudeau being "bribed" to do?

voice of the damned

Rather feeble appeal to sentimentalism by the Globe's Andrew Cohen...

The case against Mr. Trudeau would be stronger if this were not the Aga Khan. Yes, his charitable foundation receives money from the federal government to improve life in the developing world. But he also gives away money in Canada, from the Global Centre of Pluralism in Ottawa to the Aga Khan Museum in Toronto. (A personal disclaimer: My wife worked for his foundation in Canada more than a decade ago.)

The Aga Khan is not a bagman or a blackguard; he is one of the most respected figures in the world. No wonder His Highness is an honorary Companion of the Order of Canada. He is also an honorary citizen of Canada who was invited to address Parliament – both rare honours conferred by Stephen Harper's Conservatives.

You can almost hear the voices of old-line Catholics: "But, but, how can you believe priests would do anything to harm children? Don't you realize all the good the Church does for people?"

Yeah, the Aga Khan is a big donor to charity. He's also an incredibly wealthy man with financial and business interests like most other incredibly wealthy men.

Cohen is on firmer ground arguing that the Aga Khan might qualify as a legitimate friend of Trudeau, given the long-standing family connection. But he goes totally off the rails in the middle of the piece with the whole Benefit Of Clergy thing.

(Also, I think Cohen might have the words "disclaimer" and "disclousre" confused.)

http://tinyurl.com/y7cvd4aq

 

 

 

SocialJustice101

Rev Pesky wrote:

From WWWTT:

he did accept a helicoter flight...I believe he should have aired on the side of caution...

This was just too good to pass by.

Doesn't the office of the PM even have a helicopter/jet?   Is PM supposed to always take commercial flights?  That seems like a security risk and impractical.

WWWTT

Mr. Magoo wrote:

Quote:
but his arogant right to self intitlement got in the way and he believes that he is more important and "worthy" than the common Canadian folk!

That's a lot of assumptions.

When my wealthy brother-in-law would invite myself and my wife to his cottage, I said yes, not because of:

a) arrogance

b) a perceived right to self entitlement

c) a belief that I'm more important than others

d) a belief that I'm more "worthy" than the common Canadian folk!

A little vacation is nice.  If Canada suddenly and inexplicably offers a huge infrastructure contract to the Aga Khan, let's talk then.

Meanwhile, I asked you about this "bribery" business in post #11.  Any thoughts?  What was Trudeau being "bribed" to do?

Possibly could be making assumptions? But when someone claims a billionaire to be a friend, puts huge focus on self promotion, goes on tour charging hefty fees for speaking engagements while being paid an MP wages, even charging charities, and only admits fault AFTER getting caught, such assumptions are easy to make. Some may even say that I'm not going far enough! Also there are other incidents where Justin has displayed his right to self intitlement arrogant attitude (grabbing a female MP by the arm and pulling her against her will while she was engaged in a lawful display of self expression)  But really Mr Magoo, you get the hint.

As far as the bribery goes, this is your angle. I only suggested that accepting gifts and passage aboard a helicopter are "similar" to bribery. After all, accepting gifts is very much a big part of bribery. And once again Mr Magoo, you are fully aware of this!

voice of the damned

Magoo wrote:

Meanwhile, I asked you about this "bribery" business in post #11.  Any thoughts?  What was Trudeau being "bribed" to do?

I don't think it can be claimed with any degree of credibility that Trudeau was being bribed. Rather, he put himself into a situation that he is forbidden from putting himself into in order to avoid the possibility that he could be bribed.  

It's like if my local library has those rules about no adults allowed in the childrens' book section unless they're taking a kid there. If I go into that section, I'm breaking the rules, and can be sanctioned accordingly. Whether or not I'm an actual pedophile is another matter.

Mr. Magoo Mr. Magoo's picture

Quote:
But when someone claims a billionaire to be a friend, puts huge focus on self promotion, goes on tour charging hefty fees for speaking engagements while being paid an MP wages, even charging charities, and only admits fault AFTER getting caught, such assumptions are easy to make. Some may even say that I'm not going far enough!

Not clear what any of those have to do with a tropical family vacation.  Will you elaborate?

Quote:
As far as the bribery goes, this is your angle. I only suggested that accepting gifts and passage aboard a helicopter are "similar" to bribery.

How does that make it *my* angle and not yours?  Please, WWWTT, just tell us more about this bribery.  We all know what the word means, but if you believe this was bribery then tell us how.

Quote:
After all, accepting gifts is very much a big part of bribery.

Yes, it can be one half of bribery.  But with only a few days until Christmas, perhaps we would understand that acceptign a gift is not always one half of bribery?  Or is it just always part of bribery? 

Tell us in the next four days, if you can.  I think that lots of Canadians will be accepting gifts in four days, and will surely toss them into the fireplace if you say that accepting something must be bribery.  Who needs that on their conscience?  Or criminal record?!?

 

Mighty Middle Mighty Middle's picture

LOCK HIM UP!

WWWTT

I’m not sure Why you want to hold Justin Trudeau to the same standard as you would hold any other common folk to Mr Magoo?  This is very odd and not even a real strong debate tactic?

Justin Trudeau is the pm of Canada that earns around 350K a year, has around 100 staff members, unlimited security and a whack of perks that we probably couldn’t even gues how many he has. He has to be held to higher standard than you or me. Using these comparisons that would be common to you or I are really just laughable and isn’t worth my time. Now as far as the bribery comparisons I made, I seriously doubt Justin would ever be charged with bribery. Hell if Brian Mulroney can walk away untouched from Air Bus and even sue the Canadian government at the same time and Harper and Duffy can walk away and all those other characters can walk, then it’s obvious the RCMP is going to do shit.

WWWTT

I’m not sure Why you want to hold Justin Trudeau to the same standard as you would hold any other common folk to Mr Magoo?  This is very odd and not even a real strong debate tactic?

Justin Trudeau is the pm of Canada that earns around 350K a year, has around 100 staff members, unlimited security and a whack of perks that we probably couldn’t even gues how many he has. He has to be held to higher standard than you or me. Using these comparisons that would be common to you or I are really just laughable and isn’t worth my time. Now as far as the bribery comparisons I made, I seriously doubt Justin would ever be charged with bribery. Hell if Brian Mulroney can walk away untouched from Air Bus and even sue the Canadian government at the same time and Harper and Duffy can walk away and all those other characters can walk, then it’s obvious the RCMP is going to do shit.

Unionist

If this irrelevant episode is what it takes to bring Trudeau down, I'm afraid he and his offspring will be with us forever. It's the kind of thing that desperately partisan people magnify to the skies (just airing on the side of metaphor here) when they're having difficulty dealing with issues of principle and policy.

Trudeau is a disaster for Canada in multiple ways. This is not even in the running.

NorthReport

 

The Cons will I'm sure, and the NDP will be as well when they get some money, be designing campaign ads starring Trudeau's stumbling, fumbling and bumbling Lack of Ethics Presser, but Trudeau is good for another term, and probably with another majority government. 

Justin Trudeau's video clip about his all-expenses-paid vacation will haunt him and his party

https://www.straight.com/news/1010491/justin-trudeaus-video-clip-about-h...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XQEDunFENM 

Mighty Middle Mighty Middle's picture

NorthReport wrote:

 

The Cons will I'm sure, and the NDP will be as well when they get some money, be designing campaign ads starring Trudeau's stumbling, fumbling and bumbling Lack of Ethics Presser, but Trudeau is good for another term, and probably with another majority government.

yes in between chants of LOCK HIM UP

Rev Pesky

Reading up on the Aga Khan in Wikipedia, stumbled on this:

In 1972, under the regime of President Idi Amin of Uganda, people of South Asian origin, including Nizari Ismailis, were expelled. The South Asians, some of whose families had lived in Uganda for over 100 years, were given 90 days to leave the country. The Aga Khan phoned his long-time friend Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau. Trudeau's government agreed to allow thousands of Nizari Ismailis to immigrate to Canada.

So it certainly seems the Aga Khan is a family friend of the Trudeau's. At the same time, he is a businessman with a variety of businesses around the world, so presumably could benefit in some way from favourable treatment by the Canadian government.

This issue hinges on whether the Aga Khan is a friend of Justin Trudeau. I don't know what criteria the ethics commissioner uses to decide who's 'friend' and who's not. It would be interesting to know.

As a bit of a sidelight, the current Aga Khan's father (who was skipped over in the succession) was married for a few years to Rita Hayworth.

NorthReport

At least as far as I know Justin nor John Kerry weren’t drinking $16 a glass orange juice, eh!

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/john-kerry-aga-khan-trudeau-1.4460721

voice of the damned

Rev Pesky wrote:

I don't know what criteria the ethics commissioner uses to decide who's 'friend' and who's not. It would be interesting to know.

Yeah, depending on how "friend" is defined here, the implications could get pretty interesting...

https://tinyurl.com/y8hgqde9

"Justin's father I knew, and respected greatly" is the quote accompanying that photo in the original article.

pookie

voice of the damned wrote:

Rather feeble appeal to sentimentalism by the Globe's Andrew Cohen...

The case against Mr. Trudeau would be stronger if this were not the Aga Khan. Yes, his charitable foundation receives money from the federal government to improve life in the developing world. But he also gives away money in Canada, from the Global Centre of Pluralism in Ottawa to the Aga Khan Museum in Toronto. (A personal disclaimer: My wife worked for his foundation in Canada more than a decade ago.)

The Aga Khan is not a bagman or a blackguard; he is one of the most respected figures in the world. No wonder His Highness is an honorary Companion of the Order of Canada. He is also an honorary citizen of Canada who was invited to address Parliament – both rare honours conferred by Stephen Harper's Conservatives.

You can almost hear the voices of old-line Catholics: "But, but, how can you believe priests would do anything to harm children? Don't you realize all the good the Church does for people?"

Yeah, the Aga Khan is a big donor to charity. He's also an incredibly wealthy man with financial and business interests like most other incredibly wealthy men.

Cohen is on firmer ground arguing that the Aga Khan might qualify as a legitimate friend of Trudeau, given the long-standing family connection. But he goes totally off the rails in the middle of the piece with the whole Benefit Of Clergy thing.

(Also, I think Cohen might have the words "disclaimer" and "disclousre" confused.)

http://tinyurl.com/y7cvd4aq

 

 

 

Hm. 

I think Cohen's analysis could be relevant to whether there is a credible appearance of impropriety. 

Is there evidence that the Aga Khan lobbies the Cdn govt to advance his own personal wealth?  I thought that the lobbying was restricted to his foundation.  The fact that he is very wealthy and clearly has some such interests, somewhere, is insufficient.

WWWTT

Unionist wrote:

If this irrelevant episode is what it takes to bring Trudeau down, I'm afraid he and his offspring will be with us forever. It's the kind of thing that desperately partisan people magnify to the skies (just airing on the side of metaphor here) when they're having difficulty dealing with issues of principle and policy.

Trudeau is a disaster for Canada in multiple ways. This is not even in the running.

There's an old saying "death of a million cuts". From memory, I don't recall any Canadian PM going down as a result of one single thing? And I don't believe that trend will ever change because we don't have only 3 voters in Canada. However, there's going to be voters moving away from the liberals as a result of Justin's slip up here. Just like after marihuana becomes legal, another bunch of voters are going to move on to other stuff. Will Justin's kids continue the Trudeau name in politics? Who cares? I personally give a ratts ass and wouldn't give anyone any name recognition. Just like I give the Layton's didly squat name recognition!

WWWTT

I've read Karl Nerenberg article about this and I have to disagree with him. Here's another old saying, "don't be sorry, just don't it again!" And then there's this one "if you were really sorry, you probably wouldn't have done it in the first place"

Personally I'm no supporter of charities. For the simple fact that charities aren't going to fix a country. If charities could, then it would have already happened long time ago. Charities pretty much only exist so people can  be lazy, donate a few bucks and give themeselves a big pat on the back and say "hey everyone look at me, I'm a hero!" then walk away. And after you donate to a charity, you're going to be hounded by that charity to give money again. They also exist so people/entities/organizations/governments can promote themselves and say "hey everyone look at me, I'm a hero because we're donating your money" I would even argue that governments are involved in charities so that they can look like they are sympathetic and serious about bringing serious improvement to peoples lives around the world, but without any actual signifigance.

Karl's article focuses too much on these charities, giving them too much praise. And in so doing, only continues a vicious circle where nothing of any serious value is accomplished

Pondering

WWWTT wrote:

Unionist wrote:

If this irrelevant episode is what it takes to bring Trudeau down, I'm afraid he and his offspring will be with us forever. It's the kind of thing that desperately partisan people magnify to the skies (just airing on the side of metaphor here) when they're having difficulty dealing with issues of principle and policy.

Trudeau is a disaster for Canada in multiple ways. This is not even in the running.

There's an old saying "death of a million cuts". From memory, I don't recall any Canadian PM going down as a result of one single thing? And I don't believe that trend will ever change because we don't have only 3 voters in Canada. However, there's going to be voters moving away from the liberals as a result of Justin's slip up here. Just like after marihuana becomes legal, another bunch of voters are going to move on to other stuff. Will Justin's kids continue the Trudeau name in politics? Who cares? I personally give a ratts ass and wouldn't give anyone any name recognition. Just like I give the Layton's didly squat name recognition!

I never saw a government go down based on a thousand cuts and this doesn't even qualify as one cut. Trudeau gained popularity since he was elected. It's the opposite of death by a thousand cuts. He didn't and isn't tricking people into voting for him. They know he's wealthy and has rich friends in high places.

Unionist

Pondering wrote:

I never saw a government go down based on a thousand cuts and this doesn't even qualify as one cut. Trudeau gained popularity since he was elected. It's the opposite of death by a thousand cuts. He didn't and isn't tricking people into voting for him. They know he's wealthy and has rich friends in high places.

Exactly.

And magnifying an utter non-issue like this is the hallmark of rival partisan forces - especially those whose principled differences with Trudeau are minimal to imaginary.

WWWTT

Pondering wrote:

WWWTT wrote:

Unionist wrote:

If this irrelevant episode is what it takes to bring Trudeau down, I'm afraid he and his offspring will be with us forever. It's the kind of thing that desperately partisan people magnify to the skies (just airing on the side of metaphor here) when they're having difficulty dealing with issues of principle and policy.

Trudeau is a disaster for Canada in multiple ways. This is not even in the running.

There's an old saying "death of a million cuts". From memory, I don't recall any Canadian PM going down as a result of one single thing? And I don't believe that trend will ever change because we don't have only 3 voters in Canada. However, there's going to be voters moving away from the liberals as a result of Justin's slip up here. Just like after marihuana becomes legal, another bunch of voters are going to move on to other stuff. Will Justin's kids continue the Trudeau name in politics? Who cares? I personally give a ratts ass and wouldn't give anyone any name recognition. Just like I give the Layton's didly squat name recognition!

I never saw a government go down based on a thousand cuts and this doesn't even qualify as one cut. Trudeau gained popularity since he was elected. It's the opposite of death by a thousand cuts. He didn't and isn't tricking people into voting for him. They know he's wealthy and has rich friends in high places.

Actually every Canadian federal government I seen voted out was due to the death of a million cuts! And everytime he screws up, that's another nail in the coffin. Keep in mind, the liberals really only got voted in because they weren't the conservatives when Canadians got tired of Harper's million cut up political party. Justin is still the medias circus freak side show, the opposition knows very well there's no point in wasting ammo right now until say fall of 2018. You could be right, Justin, with the help of the media and his promoters/agents could hold on and even reinvent his image? We'll have to see how much he gets labelled a Trump "ass kisser" for starters.

Mighty Middle Mighty Middle's picture

WWWTT wrote:

 We'll have to see how much he gets labelled a Trump "ass kisser" for starters.

So are you part of the argument that Jagmeet Singh makes that if he was PM of Canada he would TELL OFF Donald Trump to his face?

Pondering

WWWTT wrote:
Actually every Canadian federal government I seen voted out was due to the death of a million cuts! And everytime he screws up, that's another nail in the coffin. Keep in mind, the liberals really only got voted in because they weren't the conservatives when Canadians got tired of Harper's million cut up political party. Justin is still the medias circus freak side show, the opposition knows very well there's no point in wasting ammo right now until say fall of 2018. You could be right, Justin, with the help of the media and his promoters/agents could hold on and even reinvent his image? We'll have to see how much he gets labelled a Trump "ass kisser" for starters.

Harper was in first place for awhile during the 2015 election and that is after 10 years and blatant corruption. Martin also came close to winning another term for the Liberals and it is commonly accepted that the timing of Gomery revelations was the deciding factor in his loss.

Harper wanted us to lay down and take whatever the US offers on NAFTA. I think most Canadians are relieved or delighted that Trudeau manages to get along with Trump while still defeating his power handshake. Anyone with half a brain knows that managing Canada's diplomatic relationship with the United States under Trump takes finesse and Trudeau has it. The majority of Canadians do not want Trudreau to take an antagonistic approach to Trump.

WWWTT

 I think most Canadians are relieved or delighted that Trudeau manages to get along with Trump while still defeating his power handshake. 

LOL! Ya if an alleged handshake is what Canadians really care about, we're all freekin doomed! Maybe at the next leadership debates, the host for the debates can set up some kind of handshake competition and rate the leaders handshakes! LOL! You got to be freekin kiddin me man?!?!?!?

WWWTT

some kind of error occured with this comment

WWWTT

Mighty Middle wrote:

WWWTT wrote:

 We'll have to see how much he gets labelled a Trump "ass kisser" for starters.

So are you part of the argument that Jagmeet Singh makes that if he was PM of Canada he would TELL OFF Donald Trump to his face?

Is this how the liberals are going to go into the next election? By making up imaginary scenarios and claiming that his opponents would have handled things worse or a different way? Sounds like ass kissing to me.

Mighty Middle Mighty Middle's picture

WWWTT wrote:

Mighty Middle wrote:

WWWTT wrote:

 We'll have to see how much he gets labelled a Trump "ass kisser" for starters.

So are you part of the argument that Jagmeet Singh makes that if he was PM of Canada he would TELL OFF Donald Trump to his face?

Is this how the liberals are going to go into the next election? By making up imaginary scenarios and claiming that his opponents would have handled things worse or a different way? Sounds like ass kissing to me.

The NDP has made its position clear. If they were in power they would TELL OFF Donald Trump to his face. There is no dispute about their position.

Do you support that?

Pondering

WWWTT wrote:

 I think most Canadians are relieved or delighted that Trudeau manages to get along with Trump while still defeating his power handshake. 

LOL! Ya if an alleged handshake is what Canadians really care about, we're all freekin doomed! Maybe at the next leadership debates, the host for the debates can set up some kind of handshake competition and rate the leaders handshakes! LOL! You got to be freekin kiddin me man?!?!?!?

You're being too literal. It's a means of saying that he isn't giving in to Trump while still getting along with him.

There is no benefit to going to war with Trump. The PM runs Canada not the US.

WWWTT

You're being too literal.

And you're being way too complicated! There's always been somewhat of a relation between Canada/US politics that has had some influence here in Canadian politics. As well how well our leader does internationally. Justin is taking some good hits recently (6 months), China, NAFTA, Syria, Trump relationship and now this past vacation among a couple other minor things. I believe Justin right now is way over rated and his ability in steering the liberals into the next full blown election is for the most part still untested. Sure the liberals have had some success in recent bielections, but the liberals typically do well in bielections. Also I believe the liberals and Justin have peaked out and there's still more untested waters that lay ahead for Justin to navigate through.

WWWTT

Should also point out tha beyond a couple public apologies for past Canadian governments, Justin doesn’t have any significant accomplishments to brag about. 

voice of the damned

pookie wrote:

voice of the damned wrote:

Rather feeble appeal to sentimentalism by the Globe's Andrew Cohen...

The case against Mr. Trudeau would be stronger if this were not the Aga Khan. Yes, his charitable foundation receives money from the federal government to improve life in the developing world. But he also gives away money in Canada, from the Global Centre of Pluralism in Ottawa to the Aga Khan Museum in Toronto. (A personal disclaimer: My wife worked for his foundation in Canada more than a decade ago.)

The Aga Khan is not a bagman or a blackguard; he is one of the most respected figures in the world. No wonder His Highness is an honorary Companion of the Order of Canada. He is also an honorary citizen of Canada who was invited to address Parliament – both rare honours conferred by Stephen Harper's Conservatives.

You can almost hear the voices of old-line Catholics: "But, but, how can you believe priests would do anything to harm children? Don't you realize all the good the Church does for people?"

Yeah, the Aga Khan is a big donor to charity. He's also an incredibly wealthy man with financial and business interests like most other incredibly wealthy men.

Cohen is on firmer ground arguing that the Aga Khan might qualify as a legitimate friend of Trudeau, given the long-standing family connection. But he goes totally off the rails in the middle of the piece with the whole Benefit Of Clergy thing.

(Also, I think Cohen might have the words "disclaimer" and "disclousre" confused.)

http://tinyurl.com/y7cvd4aq

 

 

 

Hm. 

I think Cohen's analysis could be relevant to whether there is a credible appearance of impropriety. 

Is there evidence that the Aga Khan lobbies the Cdn govt to advance his own personal wealth?  I thought that the lobbying was restricted to his foundation.  The fact that he is very wealthy and clearly has some such interests, somewhere, is insufficient.

That's a valid point. I didn't know before reading Nerenberg's piece that the AG has no business interests in Canada.

Though that still doesn't remove the interests that his charitable foundations have in Canada.

Pondering

WWWTT wrote:

You're being too literal.

And you're being way too complicated! There's always been somewhat of a relation between Canada/US politics that has had some influence here in Canadian politics. As well how well our leader does internationally. Justin is taking some good hits recently (6 months), China, NAFTA, Syria, Trump relationship and now this past vacation among a couple other minor things. I believe Justin right now is way over rated and his ability in steering the liberals into the next full blown election is for the most part still untested. Sure the liberals have had some success in recent bielections, but the liberals typically do well in bielections. Also I believe the liberals and Justin have peaked out and there's still more untested waters that lay ahead for Justin to navigate through.

There isn't anything complicated about it. Look at the polls. Trudeau is doing fine. You may think he has nothing to brag about but he does. I not only predict he will win in 2019 I predict it will be with another majority. It's not what I want. It's just what I think is going to happen. Not because Trudeau is so great but because the playing field is in his favor. He will be at the end of his first term. He gets high marks for economic management despite the small kerfuffles. Scheer isn't appealing and people just aren't ready for another bout of the Conservatives now that Trudeau has proven himself to be adequate. The NDP again has a new leader that Canadians are not familiar with and the NDP has never led federally. Singh has an uphill battle. It isn't impossible but even becoming official opposition would be an impressive feat.

mark_alfred

Here's Mary Dawson's report:  http://ciec-ccie.parl.gc.ca/Documents/English/Public%20Reports/Examinati...

Mary Dawson, ethics commissioner, wrote:
Conflict of Interest Act

Mr. Trudeau contravened sections 5, 11, 12, and 21 of the Conflict of Interest Act (Act).

WWWTT

Thanks for the link mark_alfred! A good read to!

Looks like Justin is now a liar because he clearly stated that this was a gift from a friend. The friendship claim is not supported in this report.

I don't think anything more will come out until the new year gets underway. But having said that, I think the timing off this report is bad news for Justin! The time of year is a break for Canadian politicians and staff, a time to rest reflect and strategize in moving forward. The opposition conservatives/NDP will benefit more than the liberals.

Pages