2018 Ontario NDP Candidates

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
ctrl190
2018 Ontario NDP Candidates

Any word on nominations being held for NDP candidates in 2018? I know the PCs have started holding nominations. 

Who are some high profile names that you think should run? Will Toronto MPPs who lost in 2014 - Jonah Schein, Rosario Marchese or Michael Prue - run again? How about NDP MPs who lost in 2015? 

Former Thunder Bay MP Jim Rafferty has said he will run provincially. https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-news/rafferty-to-run-provincially-for-...

Stockholm

I think Marchese and Prue are both longtime veterans in their 60s who were likely thinking of retiring in 2014 anyways. i doubt if either of them would run again. The people I'd keep an eye on for a provincial run would be former MPs Matt Kellway, Peggy Nash and Andrew Cash (?)...no idea if Mike Sullivan might be interested. Also, i wonder what Jennifer Hollett might be up to given that there is a new provincial riding of University-Rosedale that may be an open seat depending on where han Dong runs.

ctrl190

Stockholm wrote:

 The people I'd keep an eye on for a provincial run would be former MPs Matt Kellway, Peggy Nash and Andrew Cash (?)...no idea if Mike Sullivan might be interested. Also, i wonder what Jennifer Hollett might be up to given that there is a new provincial riding of University-Rosedale that may be an open seat depending on where han Dong runs.

Dong is the nominated candidate in Spadina- Fort York. I'm anticipating competitive nominations for both Beaches-East York and Davenport. I've heard that Jen Story, the school trustee in Toronto-Danforth, has expressed interest in Beaches. Kellway would be a great choice, as would Janet Davis, the councillor for the northern half of the riding, who might want a change of scenery. 

In Davenport I imagine Jonah Schein would want another kick at the can. Three high profile Dippers with connections to the riding - the aforementioned Cash, former council candidate Alejandra Bravo and current trustee/NDP Pres Marit Stiles - could be eyeing the nomination.

I question the NDPs chances in University Rosedale or Spadina Fort York.  The modern Liberal Party of Trudeau and Wynne speak the language of the upper-middle class, creative, and bourgeois-lefty types - condo dwellers who support issues like public transit and carbon caps, but whose eyes glaze over when the NDP talk about P3s or income inequality.

Stockholm

ctrl190 wrote:

I question the NDPs chances in University Rosedale or Spadina Fort York.  The modern Liberal Party of Trudeau and Wynne speak the language of the upper-middle class, creative, and bourgeois-lefty types - condo dwellers who support issues like public transit and carbon caps, but whose eyes glaze over when the NDP talk about P3s or income inequality.

You could have a point...but if the Ontario Liberals stay underwater in the teens and in third place and we get into a situation where the ONDP is seen as the only chance to stop the PCs we are in uncharted territory and it could be like the 2011 federal election all over again. I also wonder what could happen in the new post-redistribution Toronto Centre. Now that Rosedale is lopped off it could be an NDP target for the same reasons as above...and apparently Glen Murray has said he wont run again so that means that both University-Rosedale and Toronto Centre could be open seats.

Another question is who runs for the NDP in Parkdale-High Park. DiNovo is retiring and I don't know if Peggy nash wants to get back into electoral politics...I wonder what former mayor david Miller is up to these days. He could easily win that seat and then be well positioned to be the next ONDP leader after Horwath.

ctrl190

I had no idea Di Novo was retiring next year... that will be another competitive nomination race. Forgot about Glen Murray leaving too. I wouldn't be surprised if the Liberals parachute in a high profile candidate for Toronto Centre as they have done both provincially and federally.

Stockholm

One of the consequences of Wynne and the Ontario Liberals being so extraordinarily unpopular is that this also makes it much harder for them to attract "star candidates"... big names only want to run if they feel that not only are they almost guaranteed to win personally in their riding, but also that they will sit on the government side and ideally be in cabinet. No one "high profile" is going to stick their neck to run for the Liberals so they can be part of an 8 MPP opposition rump

ctrl190

Stockholm wrote:

One of the consequences of Wynne and the Ontario Liberals being so extraordinarily unpopular is that this also makes it much harder for them to attract "star candidates"... big names only want to run if they feel that not only are they almost guaranteed to win personally in their riding, but also that they will sit on the government side and ideally be in cabinet. No one "high profile" is going to stick their neck to run for the Liberals so they can be part of an 8 MPP opposition rump

Good point. I think the only reason you're seeing 'high profile' ministers like Steven Del Duca, Eric Hoskins and Mitzie Hunter running for re-election is because of their leadership ambitions. However, at this point I think they should be more worried about winning back their constituencies.

 

ctrl190

Jennifer Bell nominated in University-Rosedale.

https://twitter.com/AndreaHorwath/status/876486898046443520/photo/1

BetterOnTheLeft

Jamie West won the Nomination in Sudbury
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/jamie-west-ndp-candidate-sudbury-1...

Alex Felsky is "strongly considering" running again in Brantford-Brant (Levac is retiring as well)
https://www.brantnews.com/news-story/7310012-brantford-brant-ndp-ramping...

Laura Mae Lindo, Wilfrid Laurier University’s Director of Diversity and Equity is the candidate in Kitchener Centre
http://www.exchangemagazine.com/2017/week26/Tuesday/17062313.htm

List of Nominated Candidates from all parties:
http://www.qpbriefing.com/2017/01/05/nominated-candidates-for-the-2018-o...

ctrl190

Faisal Hassan to be nominated tomorrow for York South Weston. The NDP held this area federally from 2011 to 2014 and briefly provincially in 2007.