Ford Desecration Pt IV - the march to Detroit continues

861 posts / 0 new
Last post
Junkyard Dog

How delightful to wake up this morning to find our train-wreck of a Mayor's hideous mug plastered all over the media, with fresh details of his latest l'il misadventure. Even before reading any specifics, I found myself thinking, "What's the fucking oaf done now?"

It certainly lends credibility to Sarah Thomson's claims about a drunk and out-of-control Ford harrassing her, wouldn't you say? Then again, this is a man with a long string of screaming, public temper tantrums to his credit, who casually spews abusive and nasty remarks as a matter of course during his weekly radio show, who was threatening to physically attack Toronto Star reporter Daniel Dale, who lies practically every time he opens his greasy mouth, and who brought along his neandrathal buddy Don Cherry at his swearing-in ceremony as a message for all the people who didn't vote for him that they could go suck it...That latter action being something that no other politician has ever done, anywhere, as far as I know.

My point being that Boss Hogg barely seems to be in control of his own actions even when he's stone cold sober.

mark_alfred

Here's another story about Ford's alleged drunk-fest at the military gala.  Mihevc now claims he's seen the Mayor be "not fully there."  Mihevc apparently wasn't at the gala, however.

It is interesting that most witnesses are not willing to be identified.  Often we're led to believe that Ford is a lame-duck leader who's lost control of council.  However, the fact that nobody is willing to put their name forward, with the exception of Paul Ainslie (who didn't elaborate why the mayor was asked to leave), shows that he does still have influence and people are afraid of him.

Catchfire Catchfire's picture

I no longer find Ford funny. He is clearly on the edge and likely to hurt someone if he doesn't get help soon. Of course he's already assaulted people--like Sarah Thompson and Daniel Dale--but I feel he has much further to go. I'm a little afraid for his family, to be honest.

Junkyard Dog

Over at the Grid this week, Ed Keenan does a neat job of gathering together some of the more, shall we say, erratic public episodes Mayor Fathead has blundered through in recent years, moments where his sobriety has been in question. Here's the link:

http://www.thegridto.com/city/politics/the-personal-is-political-for-may...

There's a rather a few of them. Indeed, some of them I'd completely forgotten about. Mercifully enough.

It is interesting that most witnesses are not willing to be identified.  Often we're led to believe that Ford is a lame-duck leader who's lost control of council.  However, the fact that nobody is willing to put their name forward, with the exception of Paul Ainslie (who didn't elaborate why the mayor was asked to leave), shows that he does still have influence and people are afraid of him.

Well, Ford is a bullying asshole, no? He's the perfect representative of a form of right wing politics that's not just willing but eager to punish anyone that's perceived as crossing him. He immediately moved to ban Now Magazine from City Hall when they published an unflattering cover photo spoofing him. He fired Gary Webster when the latter had the temerity to actually do his job instead of behaving like a Ford yes-man. He's been making noises about counter-suing George Foulidis. He's a mean bastard, who's every bit as vindictive as he is thin-skinned. You only have to observe him in action to see that.

nicky

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2013/04/09/poll_doug_ford_could_win_toronto_seat_for_progressive_conservatives.html

 

It seems incredible that the Fords can have any electoral resilience in light of their antics but here is a warning not to underestimate them.

nicky

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2013/04/09/poll_doug_ford_could_win_toronto_seat_for_progressive_conservatives.html

 

It seems incredible that the Fords can have any electoral resilience in light of their antics but here is a warning not to underestimate them.

Maysie Maysie's picture

I stopped finding Ford funny a long time ago.

If he were simply a buffoon, a la Mel Lastman, it would be different. But he's not.

And the issue of Thomson's "credibility" is laughable. Around the time of the incident I overheard some progressive people in a shared space at my workplace talking about this, saying things like "it's really a he-said she-said thing" and bullshit like that. My silent response to them was, "What of HIS lack of crediibility? Only with photographic evidence will he slowly and eventually barely admit to bad behaviour. He denies everything, whatever he's accused of, deny deny. So don't talk to me about her credibility issues. And I ain't no fan of hers."

He's an entitled rat bastard, he's out of control, he's a hazard to the city, and he may very well get in again in 2014.

Oh, and no, this rude, obnoxious and abusive behaviour is in no way limited to right-wing politicians, or right-wing regular people. So don't blame all this on his politics. 

Bacchus

*claps*

janfromthebruce

Well, I would wait on how this really panned out in an election. The poll asked if Ford would win based on the previous candidates with the exception of Ford. Until the real candidates are in place can respondents make informed choices.

Previously when Forum asked about the possible outcome in Kitchener-Waterloo by-election, it was Con, Lib & NDP, but once all the candidates were in place the poll changed dramatically and showed it initially to be a close 3 way race.

As we know the outcome was an NDP win. And this was a seat that had been held by a long time serving Conservative. With the right candidate in a riding, it is possible to win, so don't get all upset about this "pretend poll".

adma

janfromthebruce wrote:

Well, I would wait on how this really panned out in an election. The poll asked if Ford would win based on the previous candidates with the exception of Ford. Until the real candidates are in place can respondents make informed choices.

Previously when Forum asked about the possible outcome in Kitchener-Waterloo by-election, it was Con, Lib & NDP, but once all the candidates were in place the poll changed dramatically and showed it initially to be a close 3 way race.

As we know the outcome was an NDP win. And this was a seat that had been held by a long time serving Conservative. With the right candidate in a riding, it is possible to win, so don't get all upset about this "pretend poll".

I don't think it was "previous candidates" so much as Ford vs incumbent Qaadri and "generic" NDP.  But presently, in this particular poll, Ford's the "Fife figure", i.e. a generic Tory wouldn't necessarily do so well, perhaps come in third.  (And it also says something of Qaadri's weakness--he was actually the only provincial Etobi-Liberal to poll under 50% in '11.)

Remember that Etobicoke North isn't natural "Tory country"--even in Harris years, they never won here w/over 40%.  And because of the weird nature of "Ford reach", you can't rule out Ford being crippled by a decent NDP campaign, esp. given Etobicoke North's demographics--a touch of Ed Philip memory, a touch of Jagmeet-Singh-cum-Rathika ethnoburban populism, can do wonders...

adma

dp

janfromthebruce

yes adma, that's what I was thinking.

Junkyard Dog

Oh, and no, this rude, obnoxious and abusive behaviour is in no way limited to right-wing politicians, or right-wing regular people. So don't blame all this on his politics.

Assuming this comment is directed at me, I didn't think I was "blaming" all of Ford's less savory 'qualities' on his politics as such. It's probably accurate to say his personal and professional impulses are in perfect alignment: He's a pig, and that's attractive to a certain section of the electorate, especially if they're in a mean mood.

Margaret Thatcher's death has been an unpleasant history lesson as to just how much politics have changed over the last few decades. I used to read the Toronto Sun back when I was a kid, in the 80's, and a lot of truly nasty shit that was strictly limited to the Sun and its ilk back then has long since become mainstreamed in the conservative movement. Mike Harris' thuggishness was a point in his favor for the people who voted for him; over in the US, the Republican Party's increasingly sinking into freakshow extremism seems to have no end in sight...and no lack of approval from their base of voters. And on and on and on.

Creatures like Reagan, Thatcher, Harper, et al undoubtably give off an impression of strong leadership to people who just don't have the time, patience, or inclination to pay close attention to politics, so they manage to gull a lot of the non-ideological voters in moments of weakness. But for the True Believers, the increasing sadism of their favored candidates are part of the appeal; it's not enough that they win, they have to humiliate the opposition in the process. It wasn't an accident that Boss Hogg brought his buddy Don Cherry along to his swearing-in ceremony as a way of telling all the folks who didn't vote for him that they could go suck it. The Asshole Block, the people who specifically vote for such behavior, absolutely love that kind of garbage.

You don't have to be an asshole or an overgrown schoolyard bully - or both...but then, they're pretty much the same thing anyway, right? - to be a right wing politician these days, but it sure as hell doesn't hurt.

onlinediscountanvils

Catchfire wrote:
I no longer find Ford funny. He is clearly on the edge and likely to hurt someone

 

You and Maysie are right, of course. When you consider the damage he's doing, and the danger he poses to people in both his public and personal lives; he's not funny at all.

But still, I can't help but find [url=http://deadspin.com/heres-toronto-mayor-rob-ford-walking-face-first-into... a little funny. Espically since the someone he hurts is himself.

#schadenfreude

onlinediscountanvils

[url=http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2013/04/21/mayor_rob_ford_offers_t... Rob Ford offers to ‘explain how politics works’ to Toronto women over coffee[/url]

Rob Ford wrote:
I encourage people, I encourage people, I’ve always encouraged people — especially females. We need more females in politics. And it seems everyone says, ‘Oh, it’s male-dominated.’ Well, call me. Call me at home — 233-6934, 416-233-6934 — and [I’ll or we’ll] go for a coffee, and explain how politics works.

Quote:
Wrote feminist activist Steph Guthrie: “Mayor who can't stop breaking the rules because he has never read his council handbook has offered to explain to women ‘how politics work.’’ She added: “Should we do a Toronto Women's Filibuster and call Rob Ford endlessly for days, asking him to explain politics to us?”

nicky
Catchfire Catchfire's picture

What.

josh
onlinediscountanvils

attn: mayors, prominent hockey analysts, or whoever else might be in need of such services

[url=http://www.toronto.ca/health/sexualhealth/pdf/sh_needle_exchange.pdf]Harm Reduction Supplies in Toronto[/url]

cco

To crib shamelessly from Chris Rock's skit about Marion Barry -- that must have been one awkward first purchase. "Hey, I know you from somewhere..."

onlinediscountanvils

Why didn't the Toronto Star choose to highlight Rob Ford's ethnicity?

Catchfire Catchfire's picture

Racism?

Kind of like the way Gawker "substantiated" their story by showing a picture of Ford with a black man.

But it sounds like there's more evidence to come to light. Allegedy the police have seen the tape and there's talk of charges coming. I have no idea how Ford can stay on after this, true or not. This story strains comprehension.

onlinediscountanvils

Catchfire wrote:
Racism?

Surprised The hell you say!

cco

Catchfire wrote:
Allegedy the police have seen the tape and there's talk of charges coming.

Got a link for this, or do you have the inside info pipeline? :D (Yes, I'm bathing in schadenfreude.)

janfromthebruce

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford in 'crack cocaine' video scandal

If this video is not doctored and spliced it is damning for sure. Even if Ford is not doing drugs, what he is heard saying is very damning and damaging.

Ford is incoherent, trading jibes with an off-camera speaker who goads the clearly impaired mayor by raising topics including Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau and the Don Bosco high school football team Ford coaches.

“I’m f---ing right-wing,” Ford appears to mutter at one point. “Everyone expects me to be right-wing. I’m just supposed to be this great.…” and his voice trails off. At another point he is heard calling Trudeau a “fag.” Later in the 90-second video he is asked about the football team and he appears to say (though he is mumbling), “they are just f---ing minorities.”

snip

Just what he is saying is not very mayor-like. I'm also thinking that the Catholic school is not going to be happy with this latest video clip and cut their "coach ties" as distance is the best thing in a train crash.

josh

Classic right-winger.  Racist, homophobic, hypocritical and incoherent.

Brachina

onlinediscountanvils wrote:

Why didn't the Toronto Star choose to highlight Rob Ford's ethnicity?

Because they don't want to offend the Troll community?

morose about th...

So, to recap, in the past 24 hours I've heard....

 

Paul Godfrey is out of a job

So is Mike Duffy

No casino for Toronto

Mayor Ford is on video smoking crack

 

This might be the best day ever!

onlinediscountanvils

Mike Duffy still has his job. He's just out of the Conservative caucus.

morose about th...

Darn, you're right.

I guess I got caught up in the moment.

janfromthebruce

I'm a little concerned about that video being "real" - seriously - does one really believe that Ford is that stupid to smoke crack cocaine with drug dealers????

lagatta

Well, look at how amazingly stupid seasoned journo Mike Duffy has been.

Bacchus

If this isnt pure and authentic, then the Star just helped him get re-elected

 

mark_alfred

janfromthebruce wrote:

I'm a little concerned about that video being "real" - seriously - does one really believe that Ford is that stupid to smoke crack cocaine with drug dealers????

It does seem implausible.  But, it also seems even more implausible that the video peddler could create a passable looking video like this (viewed by three journalists separately).  Holyday suggested that it could be fake, citing the bird snatching a baby video (which was real looking but fake) as an example.  But, the editing involved in creating the bird video would be far simpler than faking Ford smoking a crack pipe and having a discussion.  To fake such a thing would be extremely difficult.  Lip syncing, the motions involved, the voice, the shadows.  Maybe Pixar could do it, but likely not any regular Torontonian. 

Junkyard Dog

Wowsers.

Just yesterday, I checked in here to see if anyone was commenting on the latest piece of childish idiocy from the Brothers Ford, i.e. the two of them gleefully attaching magnets with pro-Ford political slogans to random cars without permission from their owners. 'Twas then I saw Nicky's link to this latest little episode, and as much as I hate Ford, I couldn't help snorting, "Yeah, right!" Surely, such a thing just could not be.

And now it's plastered all over the front page of the Toronto Star.

So. Is it true? It doesn't seem possible, does it? No matter how arrogant and out-of-control Mayor Fathead is, there's no way he'd be suicidal enough to wallow around in this kind of shit...Or so any sane person would think. And yet, one could bring up the example of another arrogant rich kid, one George W. Bush, who was not only a cokehead in his younger days (which is pretty widely accepted as being true), but who also had credible rumors dogging him of actually dealing the stuff when he was in college.

The Star, whatever its faults, is not some fly-by-night operation, and there's no way their lawyers would allow this to be published - and as a front page headline, no less - if there wasn't serious evidence backing it up. Or so one would think. And frankly, there had better be some hard evidence behind this, because Bacchus is right: if this is fake, then the Star has likely just ensured Boss Hogg's re-election.

Kaitlin McNabb Kaitlin McNabb's picture

Couldn't believe mention of Ford made it all the way to NY Mag

20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford

Many Americans awoke this morning to discover that (a) the mayor of Toronto is a guy named Rob Ford, and (b) Rob Ford smokes crack. Gawker reported last night that a cell-phone video clearly showing Ford lighting up a crack pipe — which was supposedly filmed within the last six months, while he was mayor — was being shopped around for six figures. Gawker's John Cook saw the video in person with his own two eyes, as did two reporters from the Toronto Star. Ford's lawyer calls the video "false and defamatory" and asks, hilariously,  “How can you indicate what the person is actually doing or smoking?”

Rob Ford: Putting Canada on the map

Kaitlin McNabb Kaitlin McNabb's picture

Also, for some friday evening levity, presented by Slate:

Who Said It: Toronto Mayor Rob Ford or SimpsonsMayor Diamond Joe Quimby?:

13. “Those Oriental people work like dogs. … They're slowly taking over.”

14. “Now on to the next item, the proposal for putting term limits on public office. All those in favor say, ‘I have sex with animals.’ ”

15. “I’d love to see us sell the zoo and make money on it if we can. ... Keep the elephants here and take it from there.”

There's a couple to think about, rest and answers on the article. This made brain and soul hurt too.

 

toaster

onlinediscountanvils wrote:

Why didn't the Toronto Star choose to highlight Rob Ford's ethnicity?

My guess: Ford is a known public figure, the others are not. 

Boze

He didn't just smoke crack, he smokes crack. It's very easy to believe, if you know Rob Ford's type.

I still think people should be allowed to make their own decisions on these matters. There are TONS of self-important rich folks who love their cocaine, and yes, a few for whom smoking is the preferred delivery mechanism. Or maybe he was just blazing with his homies for the heck of it. I would be inclined to say "let's just let the man smoke his crack," mayor or not, except that he's denying it. Because he's a rich white guy he can get away with doing things that other people can't. If he were to stand up and say, "yeah, you know what, I smoke crack once in a while, and if I don't deserve to be thrown in jail for it, neither does anybody else," I would be the first to applaud him. Hey, there's a first for everything, right?

Well, maybe not. It'll never happen. So let's enjoy the show.

onlinediscountanvils

toaster wrote:

onlinediscountanvils wrote:

Why didn't the Toronto Star choose to highlight Rob Ford's ethnicity?

My guess: Ford is a known public figure, the others are not.

My guess is that as a third generation British-Canadian his ethnicity is seen as "normal", and therefore assumed to be irrelevant. The Star story also mentions Ford's lawyer, his chief of staff, and two Star reporters. None of their ethnicities were mentioned either. Yet for some reason, the ethnicity of the men in posession of the video was mentioned 11 times in one article.

mark_alfred

Kaitlin McNabb wrote:

Also, for some friday evening levity, presented by Slate:

Who Said It: Toronto Mayor Rob Ford or SimpsonsMayor Diamond Joe Quimby?:

Thanks, that was fun.  I got most right, except for 11, 16, 18, and 19.

genstrike

I keep telling people:  Chris Farley faked his own death and is currently the mayor of Toronto

janfromthebruce

Let’s just say, however, that the 90-second footage viewed by two Star reporters would not come as a staggering revelation in certain quarters of this city, where scuttlebutt about Ford’s alleged drug use has long been a subject of whispered conversation. News agencies apart from the Star have spent months chasing similar allegations. Surprised

Rob Ford crack scandal: The mayor should speak up

 

Kaitlin McNabb Kaitlin McNabb's picture

mark_alfred wrote:

Kaitlin McNabb wrote:

Also, for some friday evening levity, presented by Slate:

Who Said It: Toronto Mayor Rob Ford or SimpsonsMayor Diamond Joe Quimby?:

Thanks, that was fun.  I got most right, except for 11, 16, 18, and 19.

no prob!

That zoo one was UNBELIEVEABLE!

toaster

onlinediscountanvils wrote:

toaster wrote:

onlinediscountanvils wrote:

Why didn't the Toronto Star choose to highlight Rob Ford's ethnicity?

My guess: Ford is a known public figure, the others are not.

My guess is that as a third generation British-Canadian his ethnicity is seen as "normal", and therefore assumed to be irrelevant. The Star story also mentions Ford's lawyer, his chief of staff, and two Star reporters. None of their ethnicities were mentioned either. Yet for some reason, the ethnicity of the men in posession of the video was mentioned 11 times in one article.

You pondered why the Star didn't say anything about Ford's ethnicity, and I responded.  You didn't say anything about the others.  Could you imagine, "Tom Cruise, white..." or "Morgan Freeman, black...", no.  Public identities are known.  As for the others, I agree with you.

NorthReport

Now that the police have obviously seen the Toronto Star what has been their response? 

Ford's supporters have deep pockets - what is to stop them from purchasing the video (the PMO and Duffy anyone) and trying to put an end to this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_Barry

onlinediscountanvils

I suppose there's not much stopping anyone with enough money from purchasing the video. Making contact with the men in possession of the video might be one potential hurdle for anyone outside the media who have already had contact with them. If the video is real, presumably Rob would know how to get in touch with them, but admitting that - even privately - could be a double-edged sword for him. And the thing is, I don't think there's anyone arguing that there is no video. The only things that are in question are; what's on the video, and is it real. So if a friend of Ford buys the video and it quietly disappears, does any of this go away? Ford's privileges have enabled him to survive a lot throughout his life, but I'm not so sure he gets out of this one so easily.

onlinediscountanvils

Another thought is that anyone buying it with the intention of making the story disappear would have no guarantee that they had bought all existing copies of the video. That's not as big of a concern for someone buying it with the intent to publish it, because once it's out, everyone will have it. What they'd be paying for is the 'scoop', and unless the dealers were to sell it to mulitple media outlets within a very small window of time, the buyer could likely feel pretty confident that they were getting first/exclusive access to the video.

[cross-posted with North Report]

NorthReport

What is Ford up to this weekend?

If the PMO, or an employee there, whatever, paid $90,000 to help Duffy, Ford probably will also have access to deep pockets, yes?

If I were Ford, or a weathy Ford supporter, or a Ford political ally - federal, provincial, or municipal, perhaps I would be trying to buy the video and destroy it, but how could a purchaser be assured it is the only copy?

And what is the police's role in this?

Junkyard Dog

If Ford (or one of his allies) were to purchase the video with the intention of burying it, wouldn't that in itsef be an admission of guilt? After all, if it's a fake, and he's done nothing wrong, then what reason would he have for wanting a cover up?  Come to think of it, I'm surprised he hasn't begun shrieking for the arrest of the people who are trying to sell the video. 

Excellent blog entry by Michael Laxer about the entire brouhaha:

http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/michael-laxer/2013/05/dangerous-addictions-toronto-right-wing-hypocrisies-and-rob-for

Pages